Your hands full now, your heart full later...

Your hands full now, your heart full later...
"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." Phyllis Diller

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Boys will be Boys

The following are random quotes from my children. You may not get the humor in some of them, but they are mostly for my benefit. I wanted to write them down, so I never forget what it's like to be a mommy right now...

The other day, Bryson was upset with me because I wouldn't give him a pop-tart before supper. I tried to explain that supper was in a few minutes and that Daddy would be home soon. He ran to his room, screaming and crying. So I did what any good mommy would do, I ignored him. I walked past his room to put some laundry away and I overheard him talking to himself. (He does that when he's upset.) This is what he said, "Daddy, wherever you are...you need to come hurt mommy!" Lovely, huh?

This little quote is from Avery, calling to me from the toilet. "Mommy! Come look at this Big Gigantic Nugget!!" So, Riley comes running and says, "Avery, nuggets are round. That's more like a log." Yes. My house is filled with boys.


I don't know if you've seen the cartoon movie "Over the Hedge", but there is a part when the animals first encounter the hedge, and they don't know what it is. One of the animals says "I think I'll call it Steve." My kids watched this A LOT this summer.
So on to my point...
We were walking down to the beach and I told the boys to not leave their shoes at the end of the walkway, to carry them to where we were going to sit. I mistakenly called the boardwalk a "pier". Bryson said, "The pier?!" and I said "Well, whatever you wanna call it". So he said, "I think I'll call it STEVE".

Today, Bryson was jumping on my bed while I was trying to make it up. So, trying to be a fun mommy, I jumped on the bed with him and covered us up with the sheet, making a tent. He said, "Thank you mommy for doing this for me!" Then he grabbed the blanket and covered us so it would be darker. I guess to keep me from being scared, he tried to reassure me. "Mommy, if you feel something touching you, it's just me. But mommy, if you feel something else touching you, if something touches you and it's slimy, that's not me."

Well, I'm nearly done, but I've saved the best for last.
I took the boys to school this morning and walked them to class. Bryson and I walked back to the van and as I was putting him in his seat, a truck full of construction workers drove by, whistling and yelling at me. (Seriously. Who does that to a mom with a minivan in front of a school? Must be desperate) Bryson asked why they did that, so I said "I guess they think Mommy is pretty." And with all the seriousness of a 4-year-old he said "But you're not." I guess I looked shocked, because he immediately turned into a MAN and started damage control! He said "Oh, wait! I forgot. You really are pretty!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Deanna (DeeDee!), I love your blog--it's so neat to see us all grown up now! Have a great day!
Jennifer (Hammer) Baker

background